A Duke’s Promise – Discussion Questions
- When Gabriel finds out that Alexandria has kept her fear that John violated her from him he is upset and wonders if he really knows his wife. Has your spouse or someone close to you ever done something so shocking (good or bad) that you wondered if you really knew that person? Or was it you? What happened and how did you handle it?
- Alexandria is struggling with adapting to communicating with Gabriel with his hearing problems and being newly married. If you are married, what was that first year like for you? Anything you would go back and tell yourself if you could? If not married, what do you imagine the first year is like? Any advice you would give yourself beforehand?
- When Gabriel’s hearing comes back on the ferry he is joyful, hopeful and yet fearful that it won’t last. Have you or someone close to you had an “affliction” that kept you on edge and having to day by day trust God to get through the roller coaster emotions of it? What happened? Any scriptures that really helped during that time?
- Along the same theme as the last question: When things get tough in life and you are going through a valley or trial what are some of your immediate reactions? Do you:
1) Call on friends
2) Submerse yourself in the Bible and prayer
3) Muddle through with a depressed/bitter/sad attitude
4) Seek counseling from church/books/other resources
5) Cling to your spouse and/or loved ones
6) Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and plow through alone
- As they better adjust to being married, Gabriel and Alex learn to work together and allow each other to bring their individual strengths to the adventure they are on. If you were on a quest, what would your greatest strengths be? Weaknesses?
- Gabriel and Alex hire impersonators to fool the regent’s guards and anyone else who might be spying on them that they are still honeymooning in Paris while they escape to Italy. How are your skills at impersonating others? Can you mimic anyone? Who would you like to impersonate for a day if you could?
- Gabriel and Alex take a big risk and journey by hydrogen balloon to get to Italy faster. What’s the biggest risk you’ve ever taken? How did it turn out?
- Have you ever been on a hot air balloon or something similar (parasailing, bungee jumping, skydiving, extreme sport or ride, etc.)? If not, would you like to? Which one?
- Gabriel is in distress while on the balloon and vacillates between coping with the fear/anxiety and trusting God that He is in control has it all planned for his good. Have you ever tried hard to trust God but kept falling back when the pressure was too great. The Bible has a lot to say about trials:
1 Peter 1:7 (KJV) That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.”
1 Peter 4:12 (KJV)“Dear friends, do not be astonished that a trial by fire is occurring among you, as though something strange were happening to you. 4:13 But rejoice in the degree that you have shared in the sufferings of Christ, so that when his glory is revealed you may also rejoice and be glad.”
James 1:12 (NIV) “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the victor’s crown, the life God has promised to those who love him.”
How do deal with the trials in your life?
- Alexandria’s parents have been captured and thrown into the dungeon. Have you ever had a “prison” experience? What happened?
- Sometimes, right before a big breakthrough, people endure trials and suffering to the point where they want to give up. Have you ever experienced this? What happened?
- The machine at the end turns out to be so much more than they thought. What did you think of what it turned out to be? Did you have a guess before hand?